Custom Product Lists can give you a lot of flexibility for additional ways to sort your products. For example, if you have a children's clothing store you could create a custom product list called "Age Group" with the following labels:
You would be able to tie products to those labels and display an additional widget that is formatted just like the Category widget. If a customer clicks on "Infant" then all products tied to the "Infant" label would be displayed. However, the custom product lists do work like filters, so what page you're viewing when you click on a custom product list item will affect what products are displayed.
For example, let's say you have a category called "Bibs" and you are currently viewing this page on your site. If you then click the "Youth" link in your custom product list, the system will filter the products in "Bibs" to only show those that are also tied to the "Youth" label. Since you probably wouldn't have any bibs tied to both the "Bibs" category and the "Youth" label, no products will be displayed. You will want to keep this in mind when setting up custom product lists.
Here's how to set up a custom product list:
- In your CoreCommerce admin, click on the Inventory tab and click on Custom Product Lists
- Click on the Add New List button
- Type in a List Name (e.g. "Age Group") and choose the display type
- Click Save
- Now, to add the items or links to the lists, click the Add Items link
- Click Add New Item
- Enter an Item Name (e.g. "Infant")
- You can also upload a banner and enter meta information as well if you would like
- Click Save when you are done
To tie a product to a custom product list item, here's what to do:
- Go to your inventory list and edit a product
- Click on Custom Fields in the left side navigation
- At the bottom you will see Custom Product Lists
- Click on the label(s) you want to tie to this product and then save
To add the custom product list widget to your sidebar:
- Hover over the Design tab and click on Sidebar Widgets
- In the drop-down menu, choose Custom Product List Widgets
- Find your custom product list and drag it to the sidebar of your choice, then click Publish
Please note this is the logic the Product list uses by default. If you are needing the Product list and Categories to be separated in logic. Please submit a ticket and ask us to turn the default logic off for you.
This is how our current system works:
- Customer clicks the category 'Mobile' -> It will display all products in that category.
- Then customer click on any custom product list item, say 'Samsung', then it will display all the products which belongs to the custom product list "Samsung" AND also belongs to the category "Mobile". This may display very few products or none at all.
- If instead of step b., customer directly clicks on the "Samsung" then it will show all products belonging to Samsung regardless of the category. After this, if the customer clicks any "Samsung", then it will follow the same logic as step b (filter product by category and product list)