Options are one type of product variant. For example, let's say you sell t-shirts. You have a shirt that comes in two colors (red and blue) and three sizes (small, medium, and large). So you might have a selection of small red, medium red, large red, small blue, medium blue, and large blue.
If you need to track inventory of these different size/color combinations, then you will want to use options/option sets.
Adding options to your products
- Go to Inventory→ View or Manage Products → Settings → Edit → Variants
- If you haven't already enabled advanced options, click the "Yes" button in the section that asks if you want to enable advanced options.
- Click Options in the left side navigation.
Option Group Question
- Enter the name of the option group you would like to create (e.g. Color or Size).
- Click the Create button to save the option group.
- In the left side options navigation, you will now see a new link for the group you just created. Click that new link (-on Color or Size).
Option Group Answer
- Enter the name of the group option you would like to create (e.g. Red or Small).
- Click the Create button to save the group option.
- Edit the group option (e.g. Red or Small) by double clicking the row associated with the group option.
- You can specify the Price, SKU, sort, weight, cost, and MSRP for the group option.
- Click the Save button inside the row of the group option you are editing to save the group option.
- Once you have all of your groups and group options created, click the Option Sets link in the left side navigation.
- On the next page, you will see ALL the combinations of each option that are possible.
note: This list can dramatically grow if you add a lot of Options
- Go through each option set on this page and enable each one you would like to display on the front end.
- You can also upload images and set inventory levels (if inventory tracking is set to the option level under General Info → Inventory → Inventory Tracking → By Option and Personalization).
- Click the Save button at the top of the page when you are finished.
note: Options and Personalizations use entirely separate logic and as such tracking does not work 'together'.