Options are one type of product variant. For example, let's say you sell t-shirts. You have a shirt that comes in two colors (red and blue) and three sizes (small, medium, and large). So you might have a selection of small red, medium red, large red, small blue, medium blue, and large blue. If you need to track inventory of these different size/color combinations, then you will want to use options.
To add options to your products:
- Log in to the admin panel of your online store.
- Click Inventory (left-hand menu) and click on Manage Products.
- As you move your cursor to the right of the product that you would like to edit, a gear icon will appear.
- Hover over the gear icon, slide down to "Edit" and select "Variants" from the menu.
- If you haven't already enabled advanced options, click the "Yes" button in the section that asks if you want to enable advanced options.
- Click Options in the left side navigation.
- Enter the name of the option group you would like to create (e.g. Color).
- Click the Create button to save the option group
- In the left side navigation, you will now see a new link for the group you just created. Click that new link.
- Enter the name of the group option you would like to create (e.g. Red).
- Click the Create button to save the group option.
- Edit the group option (e.g. Red) by double clicking the row associated with the group option
- You can specify the Price, SKU, sort, weight, cost, and MSRP for the group option.
- Click the Save button inside the row of the group option you are editing to save the group option
- Once you have all of your groups and group options created, click the Option Sets link in the left side navigation.
- On the next page, you will see all the combinations of each option that are possible.
- Go through each option on this page and enable each one you would like to display on the front end. You can also upload images and set inventory levels (if inventory tracking is set to the option level under General Info > Inventory).
- Click the Save button at the top of the page when you are finished.